Saturday, September 16, 2006

How Green was My Valley

Today is a milestone day! The News & Observer comics were in color! Their section (on Saturday's it's "Home and Garden") was tabloid-style, and they were on the back 3 pages -- teeny, teeny tiny, but in color! Even so, it didn't help in my understanding of B.C.:


Yes, that's black and white, but, trust me, the color doesn't add to the "joke." Or maybe it does. The thing is, I don't know what the joke is. I am sleep-deprived, so, please, if you do get it, don't feel bashful. Feel free to explain it to me.

The "Green Plate" is a "Blue Plate" that doesn't move fast enough. Yes, I know about a "blue plate special," but what's the story with green not moving fast enough? Is green slower than blue? Is this about wavelength? Visible blue light has a wavelength of about 475 nm, while visible green light has a wavelength of about 510 nm. Hmmmmm . . .

Or is this a poke at environmentalists, who are typically labeled "green" activists? Or does it have to do with money? Or vegetables? Gah! I don't get it! If you get more than 3 hours of sleep a night, does that help? You know what baseball players (used to) take to get them "up" for their games? Greenies! (aka amphetamines!). Just sayin'.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the joke is that since the special didn't sell, it got all moldy - hence green.

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Len said...

Yep. It's a mold-y thing, Big Al. I've found innumerable "green plate specials" in the rear of my fridge.

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought since it didn't move fast enough, the blue plate had green moss grow on it. Get it "a rolling blue plate gathers no moss..." Oh well, I tried to make it funnier.

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Jacey said...

My first thought was, "Is this some kind of physics joke?" because somehow that sort of thing would make perfect sense in the whacked out world of B.C. But now I agree that it's about moldy food. You shouldn't have to think so hard about a "joke".

11:22 AM  
Blogger R said...

It's a mould joke, but I think the problem is in the wording.. by 'move' I assume he means 'sell'. Damn these old cartoonists and their Cagney-era slang!

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Dave P. said...

For what it's worth, this is the first B.C. in a long time that got a chuckle out of me.

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home