Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Symptoms


Are you surprised that Popeye still runs as a strip? I sure as hell am. We don’t get it here in the Raleigh News & Observer. So, I have absolutely no idea what is going on here. Swee’pea gone? Gone where? Did Bluto take her? Or him? Or . . . who exactly is Swee’pea? Olive Oyl and Popeye’s baby? I have no idea.

I just thought I’d point out that the problem in Panel 3 probably ISN’T that Popeye is so touchy. The problem is more likely that Popeye is succumbing to the devastating effects of E Coli O157:H7. I think I heard on the news that some of the signs of infection include a sweaty brow, stars and spirals circling your head, and shaking feet. Also, Popeye’s hat fell off, but he kept that pipe clamped tightly in his maw. Way to go Popeye!

4 Comments:

Blogger srah said...

According to The Comics Curmudgeon, Swee'Pea ran away.

http://joshreads.com/?p=760

2:11 PM  
Anonymous greg said...

Ever hear that song "you'd better check mr. popeye" by southside johnny and the asbury jukes.....great song

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Jon said...

Apparently the weekly Popeye comics are reruns of older strips, which date back to the 1930's. Maybe back then the storyline of an infant who runs away from home to "find himself" was hilarious. Now--stupid with a little bit of creepy.
Speaking of, I knew Popeye had really big forearms, but I didn't realize he had equally bulbous calves. If Bluto really wanted to win his next fight with Popeye he should start by saying something like "Hey Dumbass--nice yoga pants!"

10:58 PM  
Blogger Charles Brubaker said...

The Sunday "Popeye" are new. The dailies are reruns from the Bud Sagendorf days.

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home